Hacker Beach Episode 8
Hacker Beach #8, in January 2020, brings us back to the Caribbean Sea for the first time since episode 3. We're going to experience the beautiful nature of the Sierra Nevada in Colombia's North Coast region.
What to expect
- Hacking, not cracking
- FOSS creation and contribution galore (non-programmers welcome)
- Also get your day job done if you want/must
- Fantastic weather
- Outdoor activity options like e.g. hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, surfing, and floating down the nearby river
- Explore the wider region, esp. before/after your time at the official location
- Whatever you want to make it. Hacker Beach is just people.
- The local airport is Santa Marta, which is a 2 hour bus ride away
- To get to Santa Marta it's easiest to fly into Bogota, then take a short local fligh
- Alternatively, fly into Barranquilla, then take a bus to Santa Marta
- Possibly Tigo for 4G LTE
- Google Fi and T-Mobile roaming should work for 2G-ish speeds
- TODO: Research coverage map confirming Palomino
- Power outlets use the standard outlet from the US, possibly without ground pins for a lot of older electrical outlets
New Year's Eve
- bkero will be in Santa Marta for New Year's Eve
As always, ask on IRC (#firstname.lastname@example.org), the fediverse (Mastodon), or Twitter.
Invite-only XMPP chat for participants
We have a more private communications channel for people who are definitely coming to Hacker Beach. It's an XMPP group chat at email@example.com. Please ask someone to invite you, in case you don't have access yet.
As a mobile client, we can highly recommend Conversations for Android for example.
Around the Web