Welcome to the Hacker Beach wiki.
We use this place as both a planning tool as well as an archive for past, future and ongoing episodes of Hacker Beach.
Current episode: Hacker Beach Episode VI (January 2018)
Please note: this wiki is protected by an anti-spam service. If you have trouble with registering or editing, please drop us a note on IRC (#hackerbeach on Freenode).
Hacker Beach #6, January 2018
We only set up the wiki after a few episodes, so you won't find all the information here. Browse the journal archives for content reaching back as far as Episode 1.
- Mafia Island, Tanzania - Just south of Dar Es Salaam, "Zanzibar 30 years ago". Small beach town with no roads
- Vilanculos, Mozambique - Mozambique capital of water sports. A walkable beach town
- The Gambia - The Gambia (assuming no civil (ok too much) civil unrest in January
- Mayotte - Island off the coast of Madagascar. French department.
- Cape Verde
- La Paloma, Uruguay - Small surf town, fiber internet, cheap accommodation, good weather. All walking.
- Nosara, Costa Rica - Lots of beach, lots of surfing. No vehicle needed, canopy hiking, yoga. "Cheaper, local, informal accomodation"
- Fernando de Noronha - ~350km off the coast of Brazil
- Cabo Polonio - Hamlet on the Eastern coast, partly in a nature reserve, surrounded by ocean and sand dunes
- Langkawi, Malaysia
- Penang, Malaysia
- Hainan, China - An island off the southern coast of China
- Green Island, Taiwan - A small island off the eastern coast of Taiwan
- Ko Lanta, Thailand - One of the few south Thai islands that's not overrun by tourists
- Koh Kong, Cambodia - The "frontier town" of Cambodia. Still being built up, a bit like Phu Quoc
- Coron, Philippines - One of the 10 best diving spots in the world (sunken WWII Japanese ships)
- Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia - Small fishing/tourism village with a lot going on
- Krui, Sumatra - Surf spot, but for advanced people :(. Best part: no Mc Donald´s, Starbucks, Burger King or air-conditioned shopping centres.
- San Juan, Le Union, Phillipines - Surf spot for beginners and advanced people.
- Sumba, Indonesia - Surf spot for beginners and advanced people.
- Ko Yao (also spelled Koh Yao), Thailand - two other southern Thai islands, Ko Yao Noi and Ko Yao Yai. Needs more research, recommended by a Thai friend. It wasn't overrun by tourists when she went there two years ago
- Siargao Philippines - "the Surfing Capital of the Philippines"
- El Nido Palawan Philippines
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands, India
- Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia - Jan, 2017
- Canoa, Ecuador - Jan, 2016
- Portsmouth, Dominica - Jan, 2015
- Lamu, Kenya - Jan, 2014
- Phú Quốc, Vietnam - Jan, 2013
- HackerHouse could be a thing.