Welcome to the Hacker Beach wiki.
We use this place as a planning and notekeeping tool for future and ongoing episodes of Hacker Beach.
As usual, we are notoriously bad at updating anything online, so the wiki contents are oftentimes outdated or non-existent where they could be. Please join one of our chat rooms in order to get the latest information and to meet others during your stay!
Hacker Beach #12, January 2024
Prospective locations (notes)
- Mafia Island, Tanzania - Just south of Dar Es Salaam, "Zanzibar 30 years ago". Small beach town with no roads
- Vilanculos, Mozambique - Mozambique capital of water sports. A walkable beach town
- The Gambia - The Gambia (assuming no civil (ok too much) civil unrest in January
- Mayotte - Island off the coast of Madagascar. French department
- Cape Verde - Island country with 9 islands to explore via ferry or air. Mountainous islands with beaches incl a volcano island
- Togo and Ghana - Togo for the beaches, Ghana for the parks and lakes
- Réunion, Part of France/eurozone, has beaches and two volcanos
- Nosara, Costa Rica - Lots of beach, lots of surfing. No vehicle needed, canopy hiking, yoga. "Cheaper, local, informal accomodation"
- Fernando de Noronha - ~350km off the coast of Brazil
- La Paloma - Small surf town, fiber internet, cheap accommodation, good weather. All walking.
- Cabo Polonio - Hamlet on the Eastern coast, partly in a nature reserve, surrounded by ocean and sand dunes
- Zipolite - Oaxaca, Small beach town, 1km long beach (nudist destination)
- Mazunte - Oaxaca, small beach town, backpackers, cheap, plenty of things to do. Good swimming.
- Langkawi, Malaysia
- Penang, Malaysia
- Hainan, China - An island off the southern coast of China
- Green Island, Taiwan - A small island off the eastern coast of Taiwan
- Ko Lanta, Thailand - One of the few south Thai islands that's not overrun by tourists
- Koh Kong, Cambodia - The "frontier town" of Cambodia. Still being built up, a bit like Phu Quoc
- Krui, Sumatra - Surf spot, but for advanced people
- San Juan, Le Union, Phillipines - Surf spot for beginners and advanced people.
- Sumba, Indonesia - Surf spot for beginners and advanced people.
- Ko Yao (also spelled Koh Yao), Thailand - two other southern Thai islands, Ko Yao Noi and Ko Yao Yai. Needs more research, recommended by a Thai friend. It wasn't overrun by tourists when she went there two years ago
- Siargao Philippines - "the Surfing Capital of the Philippines"
- El Nido Palawan Philippines
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands, India
- Palomino, Colombia - Jan 2020
- Busuanga, Philippines - Jan 2019
- Petite Côte, Sénégal (road trip to Banjul, Gambia) - Jan 2018
- Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia - Jan, 2017
- Canoa, Ecuador - Jan, 2016
- Portsmouth, Dominica - Jan, 2015
- Lamu, Kenya - Jan, 2014
- Phú Quốc, Vietnam - Jan, 2013
could be a thingis now a thing.